An application programming interface (API)is a series of specific protocols for creating and integrating new software applications. It is software intermediaries explaining how various applications communicate with each other on the said interface to generate a smooth transfer of information. Application programming interfaces are found in-between the applications and a web server to perform the following functions:
- Receive a call from an end user’s software application to retrieve information known as a request,
- Use it’s Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) to process and transmit this request to the web server,
- Receive the response from the web server containing the necessary information, and
- Transfer the data within the response to the end-users software application.
What exactly is an API management platform?
API management is the process of building, publishing, and monitoring API connections between companies and their multi-cloud service providers. It provides a secure, scalable, and secure platform for them to share the API configurations with other businesses. In doing so, these corporate enterprises still retain ownership and control of the APIs their software developers creates. This privilege extends to controlling access, the right to enforce security policies, accumulating and scrutinizing usage analytics.
An API management platform is the tool companies use to access, monitor, distribute and scrutinize the APIs their developers create. It gives them overall control over all of the API integrations within their business setting. Only then do they ensure these integrations comply with their stringent performance and security standards. This platform comprises the following components:
- An API gateway monitoring routing requests, relevant compositions, and protocol translation between the companies and third-party vendors,
- The API developer portal is a self-service center for the developer to test, browse, create and document their APIs,
- Its reporting and analytics feature monitors the overall performance, specific response times, and availability of the companies’ APIs,
- API lifecycle management module handles the design and implementation of APIs until they finally become obsolete,
- API monetization where companies can package, document, and price their APIs for others to buy them on a revenue-sharing basis.
The necessity of executing relevant API management platforms
Companies of all sizes need to implement suitable API management platforms for the businesses to:
- Execute digital transformation plans facilitating seamless connections between various software platform in IT infrastructure,
- Ensure proper compliance with the stringent General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) guidelines when transmitting huge volumes of data, and
- Monitor real-time API activity to identify possible vulnerabilities in their operating systems and networks to advert data leaks
- Use Data as a Service (DaaS) cloud-based network connection to ensure better data storage, integration, and processing.
Using the right API management platform allows companies to streamline their business operations and increase their revenue with time. However, these corporate enterprises’ owners need to know how to choose the right interface to boost business growth. In doing so, they need to ensure the platform is flexible enough to integrate into their existing IT infrastructure. It should be compatible to operate on the latest SOAP or REST access technology. Moreover, it should have advanced security features to prevent data leakage from keeping the organization secure.